The Related Discourses
1. The Aggregates
160 (48). Faithful (2)
1. Thus have I heard: One time, the Buddha was staying at Anāthapiṇḍada’s Park in Jeta’s Grove of Śrāvastī.
2. It was then that the Bhagavān addressed the monks, “A good son of correct faith who’s not at home and has left home thinks to himself, ‘I should follow the teaching. I will often cultivate disillusionment with form … feeling … conception … volition … often cultivate disillusionment with consciousness.’
3. “A good son who is correctly faithful, not at home, and has left home then often cultivates disillusionment with form … feeling … conception … volition … often cultivates disillusionment with consciousness. He becomes disillusioned with form … feeling … conception … volition … becomes disillusioned with consciousness. He then attains the escape from form … feeling … conception … volition … attains the escape from consciousness. I say that he will be free from all birth, old age, illness, death, grief, sorrow, pain, and trouble.”
4. After the Buddha spoke this sūtra, the monks who heard what the Buddha taught rejoiced and approved.
- This sūtra is parallel with SN 22.146. [back]
Translator: Charles Patton
Last Revised: 18 October 2022